Valley Alliance for Education Board members work closely each year with the Community Foundation of the Central Blue Ridge to review nominations for the Dawbarn Awards. Created to reward individuals for their work to improve public education, encourage good citizenship, and foster learning among young people in the public schools of Augusta County, Staunton, and Waynesboro, Dawbarn Awards may be given to teachers, guidance counselors, secretaries, bus drivers, custodians, school volunteers, tutors, community leaders, and others who have a positive impact on public education.
2018 Dawbarn Education Award Recipients
- Abby Boxler Arey, Assistant Principal, Stuarts Draft Middle School
- Dane Austin Barr – Earth Science and Geology Teacher, Wilson Memorial High School
- Charmaine Everett-Cupp, Alternative Education Coordinator, Waynesboro High School
- Jessica Wright Herr, Technology Teacher, Thomas McSwain Elementary School School
- Elsa Kiser, ESL Parent Liasion, Augusta County Schools
- Sue Leonard, Health, Physical Education, Driver’s Education Teacher and Head Volleyball Coach, Fort Defiance High School
- Cristina Lotts, Eighth Grade World Studies Teacher, Shelburne Middle School
- Donte’ Montague, Fourth Grade Teacher, A.R Ware Elementary School
- Bill Terry, Social Studies Teacher, Robert E. Lee High School
- Eliza Williamson, Math Teacher and Intervention Specialist, Kate Collins Middle School
Congratulations to these well derserving recipients!